Friday, February 6, 2009

2008 Year in Review

Hello, friends! Every day in 2008 we were given the opportunity to see the world through a new set of eyes because we were rediscovering it through our precious, happy little Joey. Being parents has been better and sweeter than we could have ever imagined. So much so, actually, that we're having another in just 5 weeks! But let me bring you up to speed a little...

Chris graduated from The Master's Seminary in May 2008 and our little church asked him to stay and be the associate/adult ministries pastor (he gratefully accepted!). In June we found out we were expecting another bundle of blessing and on July 1 Chris began his new job. I packed up boxes as furiously as I could, and on August 1 we moved to a little rental house just a few miles from our church.

During the moving process I slowly stopped producing milk and we went through a rough couple of months suddenly trying to introduce a whole new diet to our little guy. I could have done it more gradually if I'd realized what was happening to my milk sooner. Thankfully, Joey is a wonderful eater now (he'd stick his face right in your plate, if you'd let him!) and he continues to be a great sleeper. He has stuck with his 12 hours at night and two 2-hour naps routine. For this pregnant, clumsy, tired mama, that works out great!

By the time we got to our new place, Joey had become strong enough to sit up unsupported. He was already an expert at the army crawl, but around 10 months he figured out the normal crawl. Just before 11 months he stood up inside his play pen for the first time and before his first birthday he was walking along anything that gave him some support (our coffee table is his favorite place!). So he continues, although he's much faster and a little more brave these days. I think he'll walk in time to show his little sibling how it's done when he or she finally joins us in the outside world! Oh, and he has six teeth - two on the bottom and four on top.

These days, in addition to general homemaking, I keep busy keeping up with our little guy who literally never sits still while he's awake and preparing for the new one whom our hearts ache to meet. Sometimes I am a little bit overwhelmed by my inability to keep up with my family's needs like I'd like to, but Chris is incredibly helpful and he reassures me that I'm doing a good job. I spend spare minutes reading and researching to make sure that we're living as frugally, healthfully, and responsibly as possible so that I can be sure we're taking good care of God's provision toward us. And yes, for those of you who ask every once in a while, we love our cloth diapers and would never trade them in for the disposable kind :-)

I'll try to post again when baby begins to make his or her appearance! The due date is March 15 and we're scheduled to give birth at our midwife's house - she's got a great big tub with jets that I'm really looking forward to, except for the part about the contractions :-)

And now for some pictures...





9 comments:

azuremle said...

Thanks Michelle for all the wonderful tidbits about your life!! And how exciting that you're having a midwife birth! Everything is done through midwifery here and I have loved it! We are praying for you as your family expands in number and blessing!

the Indian woman said...

Congratulations Chris and Michelle! We share your excitement since we also had our second one and our little ones are only a year apart. We look forward to more blog posts and more pictures of cute Joey.

G&S said...

Well...it's about time mama Michelle. I thought I would have to wait a gizillion years to read an update (hope you don't mind that I got your idea from Daisy Path, so cute). I am so happy you did because I know it must be hard while being preggers with #2! We got your Christmas card and love hearing how you all are doing. May the Lord continue to bless you and your growing family, we love you! Praying for your #2.

~Shi

Liesy said...

Yey! You found the time to post such a cute blog. That's just wonderful - but it makes me miss you all even more. You're such an example and inspiration to me of a good wife and mother - you're amazing! I didn't know you had lost your milk in such a short period of time. I'm glad you and Joey made it through. I'm praying for you and love you!

The Mom said...

Hi Michelle!! So good to read your update, Mark read it and he says it sounds like your days are a lot like mine :o) Nice to know I'm not the only Mamma who feels clumsy and tired all the time, and wondering if I'm really doing a good job managing our my time, home, parenting responsibilities and the money the Lord has blessed us with.

Love you! Can't wait to meet your new little one!

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele....you have a beautiful family and congrats on your pregnancy! i just got your xmas card in the mail. It looked like it had gotten lost because it had about 5 different stamps on it. Thank you so so much. I cannot believe how much your munchkin has grown. i would love to get together and catch up on everything!
I have already send you couple of emails regarding Andrew's birthday party which is this Saturday couple of times, but not sure if you have received them. so i wanted to include it with a comment. I did not send the invitation because you had mentioned that you had moved and i only have your old address so hope to hear from you. Please say hello to your hubby and to the munchkin. Cannot wait to see you guys!

Take care and talk to you soon,

Lala

Anonymous said...

congrats! you look great and the family is growing well. mid wife is an excellent choice. only one free hand to type so this is short. :-)

love and hugs,
marie ><>

G&S said...

Any pictures of baby Tessa yet? We are SO SO excited for you both!!! Sending our love from Washington~

G&S

Heather Pelczar said...

It's about time, girl!!!! Joey is SO funny! So cute! I love the huge laughing smile. Kisses from us! HELLO THERESA RUTH!!!!!!! I am elated for you. So happy that your experience was better than before and can't wait o hear every detail. Send pictures, PLEASE!!! I am dying to see her. I wish I could hug her and hold her and kiss her tiny forehead. You do it for me just once in all of your loves and cuddles, okay? Huge and happy hugs to Chris and You. Praise the Almighty God, the King of Creation, The Only Creator, Elohim! for creating and presenting you with yet another gift of a child! What delight! What joy! I cannot describe the elation I feel for you at this precious treasure you have been given. (I am a tiny bit wistful)